Re: Sacred Time rituals in play - saga style

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:27:10 -0000

> So how do you do the IC for HQ personality traits, relationships,
mental
> abilities... in fact, most of the system?

I must be missing something - what do you mean by IC?

> > One of the
> > things I like about the Sagas (and Caesar's prose, for that
matter),
> > is that they tend to avoid internal dialogues and give you only
the
> > external actions of the characters. Like real life.
> But, but.. If you don't know how the characters feel - that why
should you
> care how they feel? So why do you want to know what happens to
them next?

Do I "know" how characters "feel" in a movie, television or in real life? Not really (unless the fictional characters have a narrated internal dialogue) - but based on their actions or what they say, I can get a pretty good idea what they are thinking. But I never know for sure. For that matter, I rarely know what my players' characters are thinking - unless the player announces that his character is thinking of something.

But this is an aesthetic issue and there really is no right answer. All I'm saying is that I personally think the internal dialogue is overused in literature and I enjoy the relative lack of such internal monologues in Caesar and the sagas. For each their own - or YTMV (Your Tastes May Vary).

Jeff