RE: Re: Sacred Time rituals in play - saga style

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:05:13 +0100

> > So how do you do the IC for HQ personality traits, relationships,
> mental abilities... in fact, most of the system?
>
> I must be missing something - what do you mean by IC?

In Character. The bit of description where you justify the various augments you're using in a contest. The bit I wrote for Brenna might have been one such, though it isn't a particularly good example.

Let's see - she's got a situational modifier of "tried this before and screwed it up", affecting both her own confidence and the amount of community support she's trying to get. She's trying to offset that with her "devotee of" (or initiate of, whatever), a bit of ritual (prayer at dawn and dusk), and her "proud" trait. That bit of narration looked like a minor victory to me.

I could probably find other examples, from games or from "real" fiction, but does that explain what I mean?

> Do I "know" how characters "feel" in a movie, television or in real
> life?

I don't know - I certainly do in books. The character who's being used as view-point at, least.

> Not really (unless the fictional characters have a narrated
> internal dialogue) - but based on their actions or what they say, I
> can get a pretty good idea what they are thinking.

Well, if they say things as well, that certainly helps. One trouble with films, plays, and so on, the "soliloqy" looks terribly stilted and unatural. You have to introduce an NPC to listen to what's really internal thinking, just so as to have an excuse for the PC to say it out loud. "To be, or not to be?" and so on.

> But I never know
> for sure. For that matter, I rarely know what my players'
> characters are thinking - unless the player announces that his
> character is thinking of something.

They don't use their personality abilities? Or relationships? Surely they must at least state the goals of their contests?