Re: Mass Combat in Heroquest

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:02:42 -0000

> Maybe better suited for the ruleslist, but:
> How did you decide the outcome in terms of casualties
> (wounded/dead/prisoners/stragglers)?

I based it on the level of defeat. So of the four Elkoi units we ended up with the following results:
30 warriors - escaped combat
50 warriors - minor defeat, 5 wounded/dead/prisoners 20 priests - escaped combat
200 peltasts - complete defeat, 200 wounded/dead/prisoners/stragglers

On the players side, I think they lost 10 hunters (the hunters were actually briefly reduced to about -10 AP) and probably several Lightbringers (given that the Lightbringer player used 3 HP during the contest). I might add a few other casualties as is dramatically or reasonably necessary.

> Whenever I fight a mass battle using HQ rules, I get the
impression
> that one side has been obliterated and the other is unscathed,
which is
> not realistic, so I apply attrition losses using common sense.
> Any other suggestion?

Did the above example help at all? Most of the time my mass battles end up being pretty indecisive.

Jeff