Re: Multiple Initiation

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:04:35 -0700

> The second objection you seemed to have previously was that the gods being
> from different religions were opposed to each other, and as such would
never
> allow their feats to be used by somebody who worshipped a being outside of
> the religion. In fact, as you clarified recently, the definition of a
> religion seems to be less about the otherworld that the majority belongs
to,
> but instead the collection of beings that will allow their abilities to be
> used if the player worships nobody outside that collection.

That's still a "social" problem, (where the social contract is between you & your dieties, not you & other humans).

> Now, my first misunderstanding could be in the above. Do I have it right?
Is
> the definition of religion important in terms of what beings will give
power
> to what worshippers?

To me, but not so stated not in the rules.

> Second, it could simply be that Ernalda is allowed under the Lunar Way.
But
> that would seem to be an interesting position, with her straddling the
line
> between religions. Unless there is a Lunar Ernalda, and a Heortling
Ernalda?
> Is it just that some beings are conciliatory, and will accept worship from
> those in more than one religion, and are, in turn, allowed to be
worshipped
> by the beings of more than one religion?

As people have pointed out, there is Solar Ernaldan worship, as well as the Tarshite version of Ernalda as She Who Waits. Remember that Ernalda is a Great Goddess in her own right, and is not restrained just because the heortlings claim she is married to Orlanth. Orlanth and the Moon have a ancient and implacable feud. Ernalda is not part of it.

If worship of the Seven Sisters will allow the clan to survive when not worshipping them might spell it's demise, then Ernaldans are likely to at least entertain the notion. "There is always another way" is the watch-word for Ernalda!

RR
- Richelieu