RE: Re: Multiple Initiation

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:12:48 -0500

>From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>

>Thus I believe that an Ernaldan
>Steadwife *could* join a Lunar cult as well as Ernalda, but would
>the Ernaldan's at a stead or village initiate a Lunar into their
>Loom House? Sounds like an adventure!

Right, of course. But I tried to cover that. This is the "cultural" objection, and I think that everyone agrees that getting NPCs to help with something like this is just like anything else in play. If it's something that they object to (and with religion they will a lot and very hard), then it's a matter of finding a way to convince them. Which may never happen. I'm less concerned, in fact, with the fact that it's difficult than if it's something that should come up in play.

And I think that we're all agreed that if the player thinks its really cool for their character to feel a drive to engage in worship of a being that their culture won't approve of, that this is potentially good conflict for play. In point of fact, I'm basing one of my current games pretty much entirely around it.

There's an occasional kneejerk reaction that I get where people will assume that I'm just letting players collect cults like medals without giving any thought to the difficulties involved, but I can assure people that this is not the case. Rather quite the opposite.

What we've been talking about in this case, however, has been more about what dieties object to the worship of what other dieties and how that's determined (and thus how difficult or impossible that might be).

Mike