Re: Where in Glorantha...?

From: Darran Sims <darransims_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:45:59 -0000

Greetings and Salutations
2005-11-14-1845.

CJ <cj_at_f...> wrote:
> Is your current game set? I have a Wintertop game, a PAvis (RQ)
game
> and a game set in Sartar. I just wondered what regiosn other people
were
> playing in, as I seem quite traditionalist? WHat made you
fascinated by
> the gaming possibilities of that area?

HeroQuest Games

I am In Newt's Lunar PBeM game set in Dara Happa. I play Lord Amaran Tinsonal, a retired & senile major of the Lunar army. I rely on my follower to speak for me. We have just done the first part of the episode and we are about to learn our mission.

With the Knypersley Knights gaming group we are playing in Griffin Mountain using the HeroQuest rules set at `Gritty-level'. I have never played in Balazar in my twenty-four years of playing in Glorantha so this is all new to me. I am playing Darsimis, A Yelmalian mercenary who is guarding a couple of dodgy dealing, Lunar merchants who want to make a trade route to Kralorela over the Rockwood mountains. Already we have been waylaid by a bunch of baboons and had all our equipment nicked and our horses eaten. We have managed to claw some of it back and gain the control of a couple of giants via magical means. We have defeated a tribe of Uz [mostly by running away and with the help of the giants] and we are now to head out into the wilderness.

I am running a Tarsh/Sartar game set in 1565S.T. with my YGMV group in Derby. The players are playing characters who are members of the White Ram clan and have been helping Old Tarsh King Hendrakos in his war against the Lunar Tarsh King Phargentes. They have just been betrayed by the city of Slavewall, who have changed sides, and are now fleeing from the Lunar invasion forces heading to Alda Chur and Sartar. The game is on hold for the moment due to illness but I am hoping to restart it soon. The Battle of Dwarf Ford will be the next episode and will be more of a freeform/battlegame/skirmish-type affair.
Most of these episodes have been turned into my demo scenarios played at many RPG conventions across Europe.

I did run a Lunar game that was from the opposite side of this conflict with the Knypersley Knights gaming group. The player characters were from all over the empire and they were working for King Phargentes in putting down any resistance and getting any rebel clans to swear allegiance back to him. I tried very hard to ban animal followers but that didn't work

With the Knypersley Knights we are playing a short, gritty campaign with just two player characters set in the huge metropolis of Nochet in Esrolia. Both of us have characters that are very down on their luck [only a Wealth 5!] and have to scrape by without two clacks to rub together. Breaking and entering? Only if we can manage it with our weak characters!

Some old campaigns that still may start up again:

With the Knypersley Knights we have been playing a Kralorelan game [Ancient China/Japan in Glorantha]. Much fun it's been it has! I play Chu Yu Phat, a Erudite Poet. The other players wanted me to read out poetry during our game. I couldn't, as I am a crap poet. However I downloaded ten sheets of A4 full of translated Chinese poetry ready for the next game and bored them all to death!

With the Knypersley Knights I have been playing Keelhaul Whydah, a Bloodbeard Pirate captain sailing the seas of Glorantha. Red Ravaal asked to destroy a sorcerous tower filled with God Learner constructs [which we did], we visited monster island and just managed to escape with our lives [Mark Galeotti's character escaped with a little more], and we have just escaped from Jrusteli where we faced off a couple of Red Vadeli [very unpleasant fellows]. I have so far only sunk three of my own ships so far. One of the other players managed to set off a bomb aboard the submarine we were all in at the time. We all managed to escape but we weren't able to finish off the campaign without a means of visiting the underwater world of Jrusteli.

With the Knypersley Knights I have played Manushi Many-Flight, a noble from Teshnos who is visiting a small charming town next to a delightful ruin. Along with my gigantic Phomia [elephant] called Nippletooth and my Goonda man servant I have visited several interesting locations in Pavis and the Big Rubble, I have found this charming little quaint inn called the Silk and Plume where I met some other nobles from all over Genertela that are now my companions as we travel together. The natives do have a knack of staring at us, have they never seen a Teshnan in silks riding an elephant with an orange Goonda, a Rinliddi in feathers on his aviary mount, plus an assortment of other nobles riding horses and zebras along with the Chinchilla of Love?

With the Knypersley Knights as part of the play-testing of the Char-  book I have played Maynard Pangit of the Death Shrew Clan, a mighty, if somewhat devious, warrior of the Char-Un. He stood alone without his horse against the top warriors of the Speared Elk clan and managed to hold them off, killing their leader in the process, until the rest of his companions rode in and had happy slaughter. A fun game.
I then played Jaffa Khan of the Speared Elk clan, one of the most toughest healers I have ever seen. A Chur-Un of course and deadly proud. She managed to help the Enaree by destroying the White Elves from the Sky.

Also with the Knypersley Knights I have played Sir Kaulth, an Esvulari knight from Durengard. Started working as a guard for Sir Guis de Brut in Caldvale Manor, a nice pleasant place with no real problems, except that the Lunars now run the country of course. We helped some monks who were attacked by some Rokari then things got a little dark. Sir Kaulth started to wear some awful vampire plate amour and we were fighting machines, Tolari and Godforgot revivals. One of the player's characters was revealed to be heir to the throne so we started to get her back on it. Nulli Tempus Dialectici Est is the slogan of the campaign, 'There is no time for logic'. This was the big epic game that I liked so much. I hope that we get to play it again soon.

I did have a PbP Lunar game set in Prax on RPGnet, playing Ashanara a bald-headed, heavily tattooed, a twin sword swinging, Natha worshipping man-hater. The game is on hold at the moment but you can see it all here:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=158630

Simon has ran a Heleric game for that lot up in Sheffield [Guvnor + kids, First Age and Dr Martin Hawley]. We were all Heler worshippers of the White Ram clan [see a link here?] working for [& betrayed by] the Lunars. Wet weather fighters and a love of all things woolly and ram-ish. Baa Baa.

Cheers,
DARRAN SIMS

Go to Continuum! NOW!!!
http://www.continuum.uk.net
For the Yahoo Group goto:
continuum2006-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com