Re: Lunar Occupation of Sartar

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:09:18 -0000

Ah! The good Dr!

Caveat: Other more sagely advice will follow from others, but let's get winds blowing a tad, shall we?

> Just how heavy is the Lunar occupation in Dragon Pass, or
conversely, how
> thinly spread are the Lunars?

Variable I would say. We know from published works that the Lunars controlled all the main towns and cities. You know a la Boldhome, Swenstwon, Caroman, Runegate. Also, a common theme in games is the Lunar missionaries and others trying to win the 'hearts and minds' by fair means or foul. Lunars will also be more prevalent amongst supporting clans or tribes.

I think it is generally well accepted that sacrifice to Orlanth still continues 'up in the hills'. Most clans will have an Orlanth holy spot unknown to the Lunars.

In terms of the Enslaved tribes, one can suppose there is great variance in clan to clan Lunar sympathy, and no more is this apparent than amongst the Colymar. I suspect some like the Varmandi cling to the old ways, and hope beyond hope for the return of the Queen, but the Black Oaks worship Doburdurn. There is lots of scope for intrigue and fun. Take a look at Ian Coopers excellent Red Cow work.

Also the Lunars rule a lot through terror. They send a couple of half files into a village, who demand 10 cows, or burn a stead on a perceived slight. If the troops don't return to base then you can bet a century of the Goddesses finest will rain murder and destruction down on them, probably crucifying women and children as well as the men folk.

Now the Lunars TOOK the Balkoths herds and REPLACED them with goats! This is a great insult as the Heortlings regard the goat as 'unclean'. They also neighbour the Enstalos who are basically a bunch of Tarsh settlers with strange ways. Their other borders are the Pol Joni and spitting distance from Prax. Tough life for them, but fertile gaming material!!

How's that for a start?

Regards
Rob