RE: Re: Sleepytime Ernalda

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:45:51 -0000

> Jane says (why am I having flashbacks to Lolapalooza whenever I
> write that?):

I don't know. What's Lolapalooza?

> > Ah! So I was right, killing Orlanth does *not* kill Ernalda. OK,
> who killed
> > her, where, how, and how do I get the PCs into it?
>
> Jane - I think you are over-dissecting things. The rituals and
> events used to kill Orlanth also kill Ernalda. And OiD makes that
> perfectly clear.

It makes it clear that she sleeps (but is not dead) - it does not make it clear *why*. We're told that the fall of WW has killed Orlanth (yes, it's right there, p 45), and all magic from his sub-sults is gone. Which makes sense. Oh, and Ernalda's magic is gone too - why? She's not a sub-cult. No explanation given.

But if there was a separate set of rituals designed to kill Ernalda (or rather, to make her sleep), that makes sense. And gives us more plot to play with.

> > Well.... It would be possible to have the fact of her being killed
> being
> > stated somewhere other than the title, perhaps?
>
> Come on Jane, it is mentioned repeatedly on pages 43-49.

No, the fact of her being asleep is mentioned, with no explanation given of how she got that way. There's an implication that it's all connected with Orlanth being dead, but that's never stated explicitly that I can find.

> > > Orlanth and Ernalda are a single religion, one dependant upon
> > > the other.
> > In Esrolia, where she has six (at least) husband-protectors? Would
> killing
> > off any one of them have the same result?
>
> Nope.

Why not? Six husband-protectors. Not one. And she's not dependent on them anyway, it's the other way round.

> > (shrug) According to official published material, it was the
> taking of WW
> > that killed Orlanth. If that's going to change, it's a bit late
> now, it's
> > already embedded in games. And I can't see any dramatic advantage
> in
> > diluting things. As it is, get the players involved in the fall of
> WW,
> > they're involved in the death of Orlanth. Start saying "oh, that
> wasn't what
> > did it really", you're removing their involvement, and that's
> never going to
> > be a good idea.
>
> Again, I think you are being over-analytical. Multiple things were
> involved in killing Orlanth, not just the taking of WW. That was
> just one major component in the ritual.

According to OiD it was the final and decisive one. Sure, there were preparations beforehand. But WW was what delivered the killing blow. P45, top grey box.