Re: Sleepytime Ernalda

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:54:04 -0000

> I don't know. What's Lolapalooza?

Sorry, I was making a lame reference to the 90s band, Jane's Addiction.

> > Jane - I think you are over-dissecting things. The rituals and
> > events used to kill Orlanth also kill Ernalda. And OiD makes
that
> > perfectly clear.
> It makes it clear that she sleeps (but is not dead) - it does not
make it
> clear *why*. We're told that the fall of WW has killed Orlanth
(yes, it's
> right there, p 45), and all magic from his sub-sults is gone.
Which makes
> sense. Oh, and Ernalda's magic is gone too - why? She's not a sub-
cult. No
> explanation given.

Until Queen Day, the Ernaldans do not know what happened to their goddess - just that she cannot be contacted at all. After Queen Day, they know Ernalda sleeps. The Orlanthi don't know what happened to Orlanth until Broyan returns.

> > Come on Jane, it is mentioned repeatedly on pages 43-49.
> No, the fact of her being asleep is mentioned, with no explanation
given of
> how she got that way. There's an implication that it's all
connected with
> Orlanth being dead, but that's never stated explicitly that I can
find.

That's a pretty strong implication. Ernalda and Orlanth are joined at the hip, so to say. Orlanth disappears, Ernalda mourns and goes to sleep. Kind of riff on the Persephone-Demeter myth.

> > > In Esrolia, where she has six (at least) husband-protectors?
Would
> > killing
> > > off any one of them have the same result?
> Why not? Six husband-protectors. Not one. And she's not dependent
on them
> anyway, it's the other way round.

I think that Ernalda and Orlanth are fundamentally linked. That's not true of Ernalda and the other husband-protectors. Additionally, some of the husband-protectors are not husbands of Ernalda, but of Esrola.

> > Again, I think you are being over-analytical. Multiple things
were
> > involved in killing Orlanth, not just the taking of WW. That
was
> > just one major component in the ritual.
> According to OiD it was the final and decisive one. Sure, there
were
> preparations beforehand. But WW was what delivered the killing
blow. P45,
> top grey box.

That's right. I don't think Greg is saying otherwise.

Jeff