Mixed Magic HQs

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:43:13 -0800

> From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>

> This lack of examples is probably because mixed system Questing tends
> to require writing it from two or more, possibly opposed, viewpoints,
> and giving each his own myth in full detail.

Actualy, mixed system heroquests are relatively rare. There are few stories of people from different cultures working together. That is a modern thing.

The myths generally are from a single culture, which tends to have a single system.
The rules I've worked on are intended to give the mainsream facts, and since it
is your game where there are mixed parties, an innovation for Glorantha, then it's an example of YGWV.

> Frex, who really thinks
> that Lhankhor Mhy or Issaries LBQers think of themselves as just
> Orlanth's followers, even if they do allow him to make final decisions,
> on most occasions?

I don't think the point is that they think of themselves as ONLY followers, but
the point is that Orlanth IS the leader. Not the main character in the pesonal story of th eothers, but he i stil the leader in their story.

Furthermore, if there is a myth wherein Orlanth, Issaries and Lhankor Mhy participate together, the cultural context is the same and so the perspective of what is seen is the same.

Finally, remember thatg the myth that is used as the template determines roles.
If the Issaries guy takes command of the LBQ, it quadruples the difficulties because he doesn't have the right knowledge and skills.

> From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>

> And, of course, YGWV. if you want to run your hero as a commitee, or a hive
> mind, or a totalitarian dictatorship, I'm sure someone, somehwere in
> Glorantha, has done it.

It's a possibility, but if several people have to make a snap decisionthen there
is a serious handicap to their response. HeroQuests are dangerous and having designated positions is one way to help survival.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
2140 Shattuck Ave., PMB #2030