Re: Re: Flying Magic in HeroQuest

From: Lightcastle <light.castle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 03:41:46 -0500

No, I don't think that's right. If the spirit is in a fetish, a practitioner can use it actively. No need to concentrate. At least, that is how I read p.137 of the HQ book.

If it is a charm, however, it can only be used as an augment, regardless of concentration.

(None of those rules apply if it is a common magic charm, in which case augment only if unconcentrated, active if concentrated in Animism, and the level can be raised, unlike the power levels of actual spirit-world spirits.)

Only Theist Initiates seem to be bound by the "you can only use it actively if you concentrate" limitation, and even that isn't really true; you just have less of an improv modifier if you are concentrated. (Wizardry doesn't require you concentrate to use magic actively either.)

LC