Re: Extremely Limited Editions

From: Osentalka <Osentalka_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:21:19 +0200

Hello

>I think Peter has a very good point. It is bad enough not being able to
>make the con, without finding out afterwards that this also excludes you
>from being able to purchase two products. One of which appeared in such
>stupidly small numbers that we couldn't have afforded it anyway. Not all
>Gloranthaphiles are rich, and some of us have to schedule purchases when we
>can afford them, not when Greg decides to stick the only copy on e-bay.

I also like the Mona Lisa, but DaVinci has made only one, and i canīt affort it... so what?

>I'm not against having beautiful editions - I was responsible for the
>Western Mythic Maps book, after all, which is genuinely the most beautiful
>Gloranthan book ever produced. *grin* But that was produced in enough
>numbers that everyone who wanted a copy got one, at a set price. At the
>time, Issaries said they would make those maps more widely available -
>three years on, we're still waiting, and Issaries has ceased to exist.

25 copys were also not very much...

And the maps ARE available:
http://www.glorantha.com/new/mythmapwestern.html

>There's an awful lot of Gloranthan material that has only ever been made
>available to a select few. The Gloranthan Encyclopaedia. All those bits on

The Glorantha Encyclopedia is in most parts no longer accurate. Its outdated, and more than 50% of itīs information is available scattered over several books, and the rest will be published in future books, or is not correct any more.

>the old GTA site. All the Lunar books. Now the 2nd age books. Some of it

Most GTA stuff was a) preview material that has seen now print already, b) temporary website stuff that was consered there, c) obscure stuff that is interesting for fans interested on Gregs development of Glorantha, but not of much use for actually game play or understanding Glorantha (Hrestolīs Sage for instance is a nice read, but hasnīt much do do with the Glorantha that we all know), d) worthles notes on topics that you barely recognise as gloranthan.

The Lunar books you speak of all are very early drafts of Lunar Mythology. Most of them donīt fit anymore into the understanding of the Lunars we now have.

These Second Age information will be available a) in the RQ Glorantha books in revised/rephrased form, b) in a Work in Progress as soon as Greg and Rick know what was user in RQ Glorantha, and what wasnīt.

>I've got my hands on, some I've seen, some I've only heard of. And that's
>speaking as someone who has put a lot of time, effort, and money into
>tracking down such things. A lot of material is going to take time and
>effort to get into publishable form, even by the standards of an unfinished
>work. But a lot has already been collated, and then restricted to a
>vanishingly small number of people. Why?
>
>So, I'm with Peter here. Lets see an end to this elitism. At the moment
>we're getting vague promises to make most of the material available, in
>some form, eventually, next year. Instead, how about a clear commitment to
>make everything available as soon as possible, starting with the books that
>are already bloody collated and typeset?

I understand your frustration, but for me it is far more important that informations/notes are available to everyone, so that future authors can start to work on ideas, articles and books, without being gregged by manuscripts in Gregs files that they never had a chance to canonise with.

I think we have more in common as you think, do we?

Cheers

André