Re: Godlearner Book, etc

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:41:27 +1200

At 08:09 PM 6/14/2006 -0700, you wrote:

>However, the desire apparently has clouded sensibility.

More contempt for the fan-base. Does the man never learn?

>It appears
>that patience does not exist among the desirers.

Wrong. I am more moved by your track record or lack thereof.  From long and bitter experience, I trust your promises of it will be out real soon now to have slightly more value than an email from Nigeria.

>It seems as though
>people have not looked at what I?ve said already, namely: this
>material is going to appear elsewhere, in an unfinished work.

Given that the material is sufficiently finished enough as it is, what is the problem with putting it out as a unfinished work as it is? And for all your statements about "look at what you've said already" there is the clear lack of anything definite about when it will appear and what it will contain.

>However, there is an implication in this desire that exceeds decency.

The lack of decency was started by you for treating us as unworthy trash.

>There is bitterness and outrage that implies a requirement for all
>Gloranthan writing to be made public?-an obligation to make everything
>available according to the whims of those who desire it.

Free Clue: You have already made it public. What I am annoyed about is that you are adopting a policy of rewarding only your friends and the wealthy thus perpetuating little cliques of Stevie Martins with people hoarding information that they won't share with anybody else.

>This is just dead wrong. My writings belong to one person: me.

Wrong again. We are talking about information that you have chosen to make public. By indulging in the trade-restrictive policies that you have in order to reward your friends and hanger-ons, you are only breeding aggravation among the rest of us. For that, you only have yourself to blame.

>Once
>they are released in whatever form I wish to share them then everyone
>who has access to them may share in their delightful creativity?as
>long as they do not violate the copyright. Such is the nature of an
>artistic work.

I think you need to brush up on the distinction between a work of art and a work of literature.

>But to carry on with such excessive bitterness of an imagined slight
>seems more to be the result of an overblown sense of self importance
>rather than the sense of simple desire. The discussion borders on
>overt hostility and has gone over the parameters of seemliness.

The hostility towards the fan base was yours to begin with. So long as you treat the fan-base as filth unworthy of having your best ideas, you are only reaping what you sowed.

>And I will encourage you people who find it offensive to put it into
>perspective. Everything you have ever gotten about Glorantha has cost
>you something.

In my case this would be months of work with little thanks from you to show from it.

>Everything has been limited in its accessibility. These
>items, more rare and more expensive, are merely different in a mater
>of degree.

So why the totally unnecessary restriction in availability in something that you have already made available?

>If it is REALLY so important that you have everything then
>I encourage you to join the ranks of true completists and eat beans
>and rice for the next six months to be able to afford these rare
>collector?s items.

Such constructive advice. "Let them eat cake" would have much simpler to write and no less contemptuous.

--Peter Metcalfe