Re: Gachi of Melib

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:56:06 +1200

Santo wrote:

>Mastakos is the Orlanthi/God-Learner name [for Emilla], correct?

Yes.

>Any ideas on Affinities?
>Emilla: Motion, ?, ??
>Orfeda: Concealment, Blue Streak, ?

I've just realized that since they are Teshnan deities, their magics would be a mixture of common magic spells, affinities and spirits. I know Revealed Mythologies states a change from animism to theism but that was an old text written before Hero Wars (ie long before the Heroquest writeup of common religions and Teshnos). The change in worship still occurred, it's just that it changed from Pamaltelan practices to Vithelan practices.

Emilla would be closely associated with the Lopers, so his magics will be about tending them and using their special leaping powers in mounted combat.

Orfeda's magics will be best about wisdom (The word "anile" on which the name Annilla seems to be based refers to "old women" often in a demented sense). So a social basis for the cult of Orfeda will be about aged oracles sprouting incoherent wisdom.

> > >What other deities are in their pantheon?
> > Dengbalu - The Sacrificer
> > Zemendarn - The Sword Bearer
> > Turvenost - The Protector
>
>Dengbalu would be a very approriate a Ancestral or Tolat Herocult.
>
>I thought Turvenost was the King who listened to the Seer Hesurenav
>and forbid sacrifice to the Gods, which resulted in castastrophic loss
>to the Sea Antigods. Why would he be followed now?

For protection against the Sea. He's now a sea demon that preys on Merfolk. I suppose it may be considered as an appropriate curse for his "misrule" - for forbidden the sacrifice of intelligent life in his lifetime, he is now condemned to have intelligent sacrifices made to him.

>Some further questions I forget to ask:

>e) Is there an explanation why the Gachi practice Human Sacrifice?
>(I believe Glorantha:ittHW, every 17 days is mentioned.)

Humans are the most potent sacrifices that can be made. Most theists sacrifice themselves but there always has to be some badasses who sacrifice others. The seventeen day cycle I think is an average based on the Blue Moon cycles.

>g) What are relations like between the Gachi and the Ashurtans? Or
>the Gachi and the Marazi Amazons (who have their love of their deity
>Tolat in common, at least.)

The Ashurtans are hostile towards the Gachi as a group (It's nothing personal - they are hostile towards the whole world) but they may easily manifest friendly intentions towards certain Gachi ("here's this neato spell that I found which I can't use... perhaps you can?) in order to wreck greater harm elsewhere.

The Marazi feel the Gachi have too many men and the Gachi men fear the Marazi for what they might do.

--Peter Metcalfe