Re: IFWW

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:57:17 -0700

YGWV
> Nice list of examples! And illustrates what I keep
> trying to say: "passive" in the sense used by Ernalda
> and her heroines does not mean "does nothing". It does
> not means "screams and runs away". It does not mean
> "waits for a big strong man to rescue her" or even
> "asks a big strong man for help". In fact, it looks a
> lot like Vinga's idea of the best way of fighting a
> battle... funny coincidence, that!

Or not fighitng one, actually... :)

> Just one query, though.
>
>> But these, her essential feminine passive power, is
>> not enough for
>> her. She-- out of all her companions and friends and
>> the whole world that came before,--she wakes.
>
> Why? What causes her to wake, when others do not?

OK, the real reason is, "It's in her nature." But then, what is in her nature? The Heortlings call it their "star heart." This is of course a metaphor.

> Or
> to put it another way, when we game through this, what
> trait should the player be rolling against here? Is it
> just "she's a heroine, of course she wakes!" i.e.
> spend a hero point? Or what? It's got to be something
> internal to her - her Star Heart, if you like. But how
> do we express it?

I am not sure it is a single roll.
Does she do what is needed? Her best, etc.? Come up with an effor tto do as well as possible against odds? Or just give up? If the latter, well, she'll die during the initiation.

>> She finds her husband nearly dead, and she heals him
>> in time to save his life.
>
> Meanwhile he thinks he's rescuing her from the Ice
> Palace. Reconciling those is going to make for some
> good stories.

The fact is, each claims to have exclusively rescued the other. However, these are gender secrtets, as it were, and they do not boast of this to each other.

>> (The
>> Vithelans may not have had a Darkness, so their
>> tales is even more different.)
>
> er... no Darkness?

Or a different Darkness.

> Not that I know anything about the
> Vithelans, but surely the sun going missing and the
> world falling apart is big enough to be a universal
> event?

Their segment may not have suffered this in the same way that the rest of the world did.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford