Re: IFWW

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:22:54 +0100 (BST)

>>In fact, it looks a

> > lot like Vinga's idea of the best way of fighting
> > battle... funny coincidence, that!

> Or not fighitng one, actually... :)

Exactly. Defeat the enemy by cunning, not by strength, there is always another way.... and I think I'm right in saying that Vingans have started off by doing their initiation as women before they "test" in Vinga?

> OK, the real reason is, "It's in her nature." But
> then, what is in her nature?
> The Heortlings call it their "star heart." This is
> of course a metaphor.

Yes, and in Glorantha that's the sort of phrase I'd use. It's trying to get it into gaming terms where I get confused.

> I am not sure it is a single roll.
> Does she do what is needed? Her best, etc.? Come up
> with an effor tto
> do as well as possible against odds? Or just give
> up? If the latter,
> well, she'll die during the initiation.

So that sounds like player decision rather than a roll. And to be fair, I doubt if many of us will want to make this a contest, since the player losing it is unlikely to make good story.

> > Meanwhile he thinks he's rescuing her from the Ice
> > Palace. Reconciling those is going to make for
> some
> > good stories.
>
> The fact is, each claims to have exclusively rescued
> the other.
> However, these are gender secrtets, as it were, and
> they do not boast of this to each other.

Of course. Though I still wonder about Vingans, who presumably go through both versions, female first?

> > Not that I know anything about the
> > Vithelans, but surely the sun going missing and
> the
> > world falling apart is big enough to be a
> universal event?
>
> Their segment may not have suffered this in the same
> way that the rest of the world did.

At this point I decide that I'm going to carry on not knowing much about Vithelans. Way too confusing for me. Pass the beer and the pretzels.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html