Re: IFWW, Talastar

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:53:01 -0700

YGWV Quoting Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>:

> It is also worth keeping in mind that non-Heortling Orlanthi do not
> have IFWW. The Ralian Orlanthi - which are almost as significant a
> core Orlanthi culture as the Heortlings - do not have IFWW. They have
> Ernalda, the Lightbringers Quest, all the core Orlanthi myths, but not
> IFWW or Heort.

Nor did the Talastarings have IFWW. They have their own survival stories. The early clans either disappear or grow to be larger. Clans become tribes, etc.

So when these population groups become tribes their particular customs and deep powers (we survive because we eat this at night or pray to this entity, etc.) provide the core "become an adult" initiation. Tribal culture heroes taught style of dress, haircut, and tattoos (the most physical appearances); ancestral worship methods, and everyone that survived the Dark had a spiritual protector of some sort; or practices or philosophies, such as a preference for a cult, matrilineal property lines, etc.

They SHARE the fact that they all worship the Orlanth pantheon as their religious component. Even when Lokamayadon was trying to replace Orlanth with High Orlanth he acknowledged that Orlanth and Ernalda were the Greatest Gods. And even the local ways to worship the Storm Pantheon are all based on the old Theyalan methods taught by the Lightbringer missionaries of the early Dawn. This broad method of spiritual practice unites the holy people across the entire "barbarian belt."

On the Other Hand, the Talastarings, Ralian Orlanthi and Fronelan Orlanthi look towards Top of the World as their Great Mountain, not Kero Fin. Same religion, but... different.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford