Re: Other Orlanthi initiation rites

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 18:34:21 -0000

> > (and of course
> > that includes the Heortlings of Tarsh, Holay, Aggar and Saird -
> > misleadingly called "Alakoringites" by the southern Heortlings of
> > Sartar and Heortland),
> Misleading as it is, there is still some historical validity to
the
> term, insofar as the northern tribes were following him before
the
> Dragonkill.

Sure - but I doubt the northern Heortlings call themselves "Alakoringites". I've always figured they call themselves "Heortlings" (assuming they still practice the traditional rites), and call the southerners "Hendrikings".

> The initiation rites for adulthood would be the story of how they
> survived the Darkness, or whatever key event marked their
> identification as a clan (I can imagine that some of these events
> would be in the Gods War periods, for instance.)

Given that the Ralians were largely hsunchen in the Darkness, most of these rites are probably hsunchen in origin.

> > Some might follow the Bull
> > totem rites (the descendents of the Bemuri),
> Bemuri, eh? Yes, though in Fronela they are called the Tawari.

David Dunham and I have fond recollections of the Bemuri.:)

> The Lightbringer misionaries set off in all directions. One group
went
> south of the Mislari mountains, bringing the faith to the people
> there. I imagine that some of these Heortlings then wen on t
other
> lands, but probably with compatriots frlom the region they had
just
> converted.

Sure. I just figure there are probably even a few pockets of Heortlings in Ralios. In a sea of folk with largely hsunchen initiation traditions. Including some pretty weird ones I expect. And there might even be some strange things dating from after the EWF as well.

> > The religious rites of the Ralian Orlanthi, on the other hand,
are
> > likely extremely similar to the Heortling religious rites and
> > indistinguishable from those rites even to most Heortlings.
> I think so. There would be some drift over the centuries, but
since
> the "environmental conditions" of the gods did not change
> significently, the rites are probably similiar too, save for the
> inevitable local differences.

Yeah, that's my view as well. Contrary to well-established fan tradition (which I helped promote), I strongly doubt that there is a "Humath" cult in Ralios that has replaced "Humakt". I expect the Ralians worship Humakt.

Jeff