Re: Re: Other Orlanthi initiation rites

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:03:47 -0700

YGWV Quoting Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>:

> Sure - but I doubt the northern Heortlings call
> themselves "Alakoringites". I've always figured they call
> themselves "Heortlings" (assuming they still practice the
> traditional rites), and call the southerners "Hendrikings".

That makes a lot of sense, expecially the southerners being called Hendriki. COULD BE so,.
But it could be just as likely that the northerners, having called themselves the Alakoringi, as the "new victorious folk" sweep south against the evil dragonsa; retained the name afterwards.

> Given that the Ralians were largely hsunchen in the Darkness, most
> of these rites are probably hsunchen in origin.

Of course.
But there is not a SINGLE way the hsunchen survived. They would differ, and be 1. a power of the critter, (thus the deer people survive by flight, and by offering one of thmselves as sacrifice to save the others); and 2. somethig to do with also having a human power.

> Sure. I just figure there are probably even a few pockets of
> Heortlings in Ralios. In a sea of folk with largely hsunchen
> initiation traditions. Including some pretty weird ones I expect.
> And there might even be some strange things dating from after the
> EWF as well.

It is possible that pockets of Heortling socieites have survived in Ralios. There are also probably non-Heortling, non-hsnchen groups as well.

> Yeah, that's my view as well. Contrary to well-established fan
> tradition (which I helped promote), I strongly doubt that there is
> a "Humath" cult in Ralios that has replaced "Humakt". I expect the
> Ralians worship Humakt.

Of course, since Humakt was an integral part of the Heortling pantheon at the Dawn.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford