Re: Household Goddesses

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 22:31:23 -0700

YGWV Quoting ishldgetoutmore <rmv1_at_...>:

> Not sure if this is the correct place for this, since it's a cross
> between a rules question and a setting question.

EVerything is welcome here.

> I was looking through the options, when I came across the Household
> Goddesses. I could definitely see a couple of my players seriously
> considering characters devoted to one or two of these goddesses, but

Sounds like an interesting bunch of players if they would be interested in these entities!

> As far as I know, there have been no writeups for the following:
>
> * Istena, who fills the water and wine skins.
> * Sharla, who spins the wool into thread.
> * Berlintha, who mends the clothing.
> * Arnna, who holds the key to the treasure box.
> * Beseta and Besanga, who bear the Goddess' burdens.
>
> I seem to remember Arnna being mentioned as an aspect of Asrelia/Ty
> Kora Tek,

The association of Arnna with the treasure holder is the fact that TKT and Asrelia are also. However, Arnna would be the one who holds household goods safe, not the divine household though.

> which would make her relatively easy to work up, but I'll
> admit bafflement on the others, who appear in no myths I've found.

There aren't many, I would bet. I think that some of these arfe mentioned in the myth of how Orlanth liberaed Ernalda from Yelm, and these women help cart stuff out of the palace. The fact is these are Ernalda's servants, and their myths are about serving, not much else.

> Does anybody have any idea what Affinities/Feats/Secrets they should
> have?

I don't want to disappoint, but these would mostly be pretty mundane things that directly deal wiht thier household jobs. They are specialized enough that they may have only one Affinity each, being whatever they have in the list above. As for Feats, they'd be specialization of those. Thus
Istena: Carry Water, Fix bucket, Don't Drip Wine, Find Clean Water. Sharla: Card wool, spin distaff, repair loom, etc. And so on.

> I'm especially unsure about Beseta and Besanga, who would seem
> to be superfluous given the powers of Enferalda the Supporter.

Enferalda helps Orlanth, these fine lasses help Ernalda.

> Any contributions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I'd just suggest that you let the players learn about these as they go. If they actually want to be a worshipper of one of these then let the players learn along with their characters. Slowly introduce the fact that in HeroQuest THE PLAYERS can help design the magic system, and encourage them to discover what their characters would want, find useful or natural.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford