Re: Household Goddesses

From: ishldgetoutmore <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 00:14:05 -0000

I wonder if Arnna fulfills a similar purpose in Earth clans as Harst fulfills in Storm clans - maintaining clan stores and distributing goods according to need.

> There aren't many, I would bet. I think that some of these are
> mentioned in the myth of how Orlanth liberaed Ernalda from Yelm, and
> these women help cart stuff out of the palace. The fact is these are
> Ernalda's servants, and their myths are about serving, not much
> else.

I could see a "Mythology of the Household Goddesses" ability. While they may not have the myths about them fighting and conquering, they have the myths that explain why we do the things we do to make a household. They're essential to the working of society.

> > Does anybody have any idea what Affinities/Feats/Secrets they
> > should have?
>
> I don't want to disappoint, but these would mostly be pretty mundane
> things that directly deal wiht thier household jobs. They are
> specialized enough that they may have only one Affinity each, being
> whatever they have in the list above. As for Feats, they'd be
> specialization of those. Thus
> Istena: Carry Water, Fix bucket, Don't Drip Wine, Find Clean Water.
> Sharla: Card wool, spin distaff, repair loom, etc.
> And so on.

I don't know, in Glorantha they seem to have incidental abilities that work fairly well within the system and are really impressive. I was very impressed with Kesta's writeup, for instance - I finally know what splendourbread is and how it's made.

> I'd just suggest that you let the players learn about these as they
> go. If they actually want to be a worshipper of one of these then
> let the players learn along with their characters. Slowly introduce
> the fact that in HeroQuest THE PLAYERS can help design the magic
> system, and encourage them to discover what their characters would
> want, find useful or natural.

I really like this idea. Unfortunately, near the beginning it'll be too difficult to work, I think - I have some RP newbies to break in. But I'll be using this for characters made later, most definitely.