Household Goddesses: Roitina

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:19:50 +1000

I have to confess to a long standing fondness for Roitina the Dancer among the minor Hearth Goddesses. I've developed some personal ideas about Gentlevoice as ritualist, dancer and singer, and mentioned her in a few stories.

Her ethos, as a young aspect of Ernalda the Queen, IMG is that:

No one knows what Roitina will do:

BUT SHE ALWAYS DOES IT. Which is also a great pc hook.

She is mentioned here: http://www.issaries.com/new/courtship.html

"Roitina the Dancer draws the clan together; she is a young aspect of
Ernalda the Queen. She dances to the songs of Skovara and Drogarsi, and she teaches these dances to the clan. Roitina brought the Threshing Dance, the Cider Dance, the Square Dance, and the lithesome Maiden's Dance that enchants young men with covert glances and gentle swaying. She also made stuffy Elmal burn bright with embarrassment with her rollicking Skirt-lifting Dance. Most young women learn her stories and dances, and include the goddess in their worship. Roitina teaches pride, tact, and lust for life."

And in my godtime barnyard epic, the Sheep of Luck, mentioned in Dragon Pass and told in full at Questlines:
http://mythologic.info/questlines/sheep.html

"Roitina found the homeless luck rams, and took them with her as she
travelled from stead to stead. Ugly things were abroad, but her songs brought joy and hope to folk everywhere, and she never sang as pure or as strong as when the three rams grazed at her side. Rambones protected her from danger when travelling, and the Dag gave wool for a cloak to keep the growing cold at bay.

Roitina eventually gifted the sheep to another god or goddess. I don't know why... no one knows what Roitina will do, but she always does it. Gentlevoice was beginning a long journey, hoping to find clans lost in the growing darkness. But without her lucky sheep, all she found were Stumble Steps and Words Out Of Place."

Grow your own traditions and myths! And share them. :)

Cheers

John