Re: Heortling data from Enclosure

From: simonbrayuk_at_...
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:49:32 EDT

Also, it is VERY possible that all these household goddesses ae worshipped collectively, not separately. IN a large household perhaps these tasks ae isolated from each other, but for normal people there's one or two people who do them all.
I always imagined that in the stead there would be a little corner, perhaps near the hearth or around the back of the loom where there was a small pile of little statues, each in different forms, shapes and natures. They are the Household Goddess, and before the Steadwife and her daughters set to work rousing the men, fetching the water, milking the sheep and pulling the carrots they would go over an make a little sacrifice of milk, bread or perhaps a little  gift, a ribbon or comb. They thank the goddess, some remembered by name, but  others older and perhaps forget just respected with a bowed head and a nod. When I illustrated the Earth Woman article in an old copy of Tales of the Reaching Moon, this is exactly what I drew. Perhaps in another house each of the  daughters has a favoured little goddess, that theyhave been assigned to look  after by their mother, reflecting the chores that they must undertake that day. I think as well that by performing the tasks, sweating as you milk, sew and clean you are making your own little sacrifices. If a household forget their Goddesses then they send their spirits of retribution, the Dust Bunnies that live under the beds, the Cobweb Dancers, the Soot Chokers, the Milk Curdlers and Hen Hobblers to make sure they are rememberd soon enough. I also like the idea that each stead creates its own 'soul' or 'Wyter' which pervades, a house where folk argue, bicker and fight will have a very sad soul that breaks pots and lets the wind through the thatch and a house full of harmony and joy will always have flowers on the tables, good beer and well behaved mice.

Simon