Re: Harst, grandmothers

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:29:04 -0700

Quoting Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>:
>> > Harst has nothing to do with household goods. He
>> keeps (and trades)
>> > the clan's extra gran (and other goods).

> He's a trader:

Actually, he is "Spare Grain," His essential task is to hold he spare grain for the community. This is to share with others in the clan, if they are short. This has expanded to share it with other clans too, though with the stipulation that they have to exchange something for it.

> he's just trying to live up to the
> proverb. "He'd sell his own grandmother..." It's
> probably a Harst Feat, "sell own grandmother", just as
> Goldentongue gets "talk hind leg off donkey".

I belive Jane is here following up on Roderick's joke on my typo ("sell gran") but even so, I'll repeat: Harst is not primarily a salesman. He is the village storekeeper.

Now, Garzeen, or "Middleman," HE might have "sell own grandmother. :)

> Somehow I think this is a role that wouldn't get a lot
> of use in Esrolia?

Why not?
I see both Harst and Garzeen as being essential to the social well being and the flow of goods to market.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford