Re: Harst, grandmothers

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 21:13:18 +0100 (BST)

> He
> >> keeps (and trades)
>
> > He's a trader:
>
> Actually, he is "Spare Grain," His essential task is
> to hold he spare grain for the community.

Huh? Storm Tribe p117: "Harst is the clan merchant god and inventor of barter... established trade in Dragon Pass... Orlanthi Harst see trading as secondary to their lives in the clan, whereas Issaries Harst merchants dedicate their lives to trading..."

Traders. Definitely traders. Sure, they store the grain so they have something to trade, but that's a means to an end.

> > he's just trying to live up to the
> > proverb. "He'd sell his own grandmother..." It's
> > probably a Harst Feat, "sell own grandmother",
> just as
> > Goldentongue gets "talk hind leg off donkey".
>
> I belive Jane is here following up on Roderick's
> joke on my typo ("sell gran")

Yes, could be....

> Now, Garzeen, or "Middleman," HE might have "sell
> own grandmother. :)

Fair enough. Or it might be a Matchmaker feat, half-way seriously - what's that subcult called again? ah yes, Vela.

> > Somehow I think this is a role that wouldn't get a
> lot of use in Esrolia?
>
> Why not?
> I see both Harst and Garzeen as being essential to
> the social well
> being and the flow of goods to market.

Sure, but I don't think Esrolia will approve of selling grandmothers, with or without capital letters.

Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" � The Wall Street Journal http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html