Re: Ralian Orlanthi

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 20:48:14 -0000

> > Are we talking at the Dawn? If I recall (and Greg can correct
me),
> > at the Dawn, pretty much all that was left of human cultures in
> > Ralios were a bunch of beast-worshipping Hsunchen (or other
beast-
> > worshippers like the Galanini) and probably a few other fairly
> > pathetic survivors.
> All the suvivors outside of the few cultural zones, (Dragon Pass,
> Seshnela, etc.) were pathetic, including the hsunchen of Ralios.

Let me reinforce this for folk - humanity at the Dawn barely even existed outside of the few cultural zones (Dragon Pass, Seshnela, Dara Happa, etc.). Although we never came up with a Dawn Age map for Ralios, I doubt there were more than a few thousand folk in Ralios at Dawn. Their numbers probably really only increased significantly with contact with the Theyalan missionaries.

> There certainly were some non-hsunchen clans there. It is likely
that
> some of these survived after adopting Orlanthi practices. It
makes
> Ralios more interesting.

Yep. A hodge-podge of ancestral traditions that embraced the Orlanthi religion. Lots of strange adult initiation rites.

> > When the Theyalan missionaries came to Ralios
> > in 130, there was only one glimmer of civilization and that was
> > about the Felster Lake. A religious organization known as the
> > Dangan Confederacy had risen there, about the holy spot of Hrelar
> > Amali, and it had helped the nearby people again see light after
> > centuries of darkness.
> Dang, but I will hae to rummage through my sources to find the
> earliest Dangans. But when the Lifebringers got to Ralios, the
> hsunchen weren't organized around the Felster or anywhere.

I agree - I suspect that Hrelar Amali was merely the main Ralian survival place at the Dawn (similar to some of the others around Dragon Pass). Probably not very impressive by the standards of the Theyalan missionaries.

> > I doubt it. Although the God Learners were familiar with Orlanth
> > (as a result of interaction with the Ralian Orlanthi), I doubt
they
> > imposed a "God Learned version of Orlanth".
> I know of no such thing as a "God Learner Orlanth" that is
worhsipped
> anywhere.

Agreed!

> > I think the Ralians
> > received Orlanth worship from the Theyalan missionaries,
> > enthusiastically embraced the religion and have been one of the
> > central areas of the Orlanth religion since the First Age.
> That is correct.

Heck, they learned of Harmast's Lightbringer Quest before most of the Heortlings. And they showed the Heortlings how to take on the EWF. The Ralian Orlanthi have rocked for a long time!

> Perhaps there is a minor, variant cult of Humakt in the Safelster
that
> fits this category.

Sure. A minor, variant cult.

> > As I understand it, the Ralian survivors adopted the Orlanth
> > religion pretty much in its entirety - like the folk of
Talastar. I
> > suspect the cult of Humakt in Ralios would look extremely
familiar
> > to a Heortling.
> Yes. The Orlanthi of norther Ralios would worship the "regular"
gods
> of the Orlanthi pantheon.

Just not regional goddesses like Kerofin or Engizi. Or regional heroes like Heort, Hendrik, or Sartar (although Alakoring and Harmast are probably pretty important there - and they have plenty of anti-sorcery heroes). Vingkot is probably not all that important either. And probably a bunch of new local subcults of the familiar aspects of Orlanth (Adventurous, Allfather and Thunderer).

Jeff