Re: Terminology

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:35:54 +0100 (BST)

> > > Comsiderting who requested the clarification of
> > > "all" in the first place
> > > (Peter), I'd say that he, at least, should know.
> >
> > Well, true. But this is the newbies list, emails
> to it
> > are addressed to all, not to one person in
> particular,
> > and possibly as a result he, like me, expected
> English
> > to be used, not cliquey in-jokes.
>
> You mean like "Generally Accepted Glorantha" or
> "Gregged"?:)

Neither of those could be mistaken for ordinary English, now could they? Come on, deliberately missing the point doesn't help. "All" is an English word, and unless you know otherwise there's no reason to think it might have a different meaning. So is "book" - should we look that one up to see if it's been redefined? "We"? Where does it stop? Check out every word of everyday English, or just those that are obviously specific to this subject?
Come on, is it so hard to simply write English in the first place?