Re: Orlanthi - Ralians, Talastari, oh my

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:23:51 -0700

YGWV
Quoting Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>:

> Greg:
>> The Galanini didn't really get a significent advantage until they
>> adopted agriculture, which came with the Heortlings.

Peter:
> Why would they need agriculture from the Heortlings giving they
> have a) a temple to the Father of the Seeds

The presence of Flamal, the Father of Seeds, is not necessarily connnected to agriculture. It includes simple gathering and horticulture as well. Certainly we know that gathering was common among the Dawn Age Ralians.

> and b) the Seshnegi nearby?

The Heortling technology, rituals and practices for agriculture were were the first to get to Ralios.
The Seshnegi did not get to Ralios until later, and by then were an enemy whose techniques and religion were shunned. The Pendali, who were the natives of the Seshnelan penninsula and Tanisor Valley, were strictly hunter/gatherers. Their refusal to adopt the Seshnelan ways was passed onward to their closer kin in Ralios.

Greg:
>> > The trouble with this is that the Galanini are contacted rather late
>> > (130 ST) or so
>
>> I think this date is pretty good, though I'd like to check what is
>> written. From whence this data, Peter?
>
> The Broken Council guidebook. It seems to be an educated
> guess based on Slontos being opened circa 115 ST while
> the other avenue into Ralios (Karia) wasn't cleared until the
> next century.

Ah yes, thank you.

>> > Moreover because of their location, I would have thought
>> > [the Galanini] have been invigorated by the pagan Seshnegi
>> > (or Tanisor) before the Missionaries found their way to them.
>
>> I do not think that the indigenous Pendali of the Tanisor Valley were
>> any more advanced than the Galanini at, and after the Dawn.
>
> But the Seshnegi were largely pagans at this time.

Not strictly. First of all, I generally use pagan as the Seshnegi/Malkioni did: cultures that did not acknowledge Malkion (or Makan, etc., whatever their favorite name was for the One God.) Even pagan cultures that DID acknowledge something like the One God were Pagans to the Seshnegi, because it wasn?t their One God. So th Seshnegi worshiped Malkion as well as some local deities, as was common. It was their chief deity, and they used veneragtion to do so. Sorcerers were their primary form of magic user, though with some clerics as well.
During the Darkness the Seshnegi practices were corrupt by later standards. They worshipped several relatively minor entities that were necessary for their survival.
After King Froalar married Seshna, the land goddess, they spawned the Serpent King dynasty. These demigods had serpent bodies instead of legs. They were a terrible embarassment to later ages, who gtended to gloss over such ancient history anyway. The dynasty lasted 150 years, after which the entire Seshnelan penninsula had been conquered (except for the two elf forests.) Only after that time did they start to expand outside of Seshnela proper, into Tanisor.

By that time the Heortlings had gotten into Ralios with their eligion and techniques.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford