Re: Ralian Orlanthi

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:18:35 -0000

> Earth has had no equivalent of the Great Darkness in recorded
> history - which makes sense given that it is a mythological event,
> not a historical one. The closest approximation that I've come up
> with is a some sort of nuclear, biological, climatological
> catastrophe that manages to wipe out 99+% of the human species. And
> everything else as well.

The closest thing I can offer is a new theory about the end of the Hallstatt culture. Good enough for a local event:

A group of amateur archaeologists and mineralogists has found evidence for a devastating meteor impact in eastern Bavaria, since then supported by scientists from several universities (though debated by official authorities in Bavaria). Check out http://www.chiemgau-impact.com/index.html

According to a TV show (German only: http:// www.phoenix.de/terra_x_der_chiemgau_komet/ 2006/06/20/0/65702.1.htm
- remove the linebreaks, watch the pictures, use babelfish, follow the links) this might have caused the cult of Taranis and the warlike nature of those Celts fearing nothing but that the sky falls down on them.

While I don't think the historical conclusions are canon (yet), this makes interesting source material for roleplaying.

For a local event, I submit the Footprint myth combined with Vestkarten's descent, which has all the trappings.

And, of course, Orlanth's Downland migration into the lands affected by this...