Re: Re: Orlanth Heroquesting during OiD

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:00:21 -0700

> >Of course, the Lunars have a lot of hutzpah to actually think they can
> >"kill" Orlanth, since he is well known to be self-resurrecting (via the
> >LBQ), *and* things generally get better for Orlanthi when he gets back.
>
> That's true. But you know, while Orlanth is in the underworld he meets
> Rashorana. Boy, would I like to be a fly on the wall when that happens
> during OiD!

Yes, Orlanth is Illuminated, he has been since before Time. So is Yelm, and Ernalda, and quite a few of the rest of the gods (and Great Spirits, and Essences...). Just not in the Lunar way. (yes, there is Illumination and there is Illumination!)

> I think the Lunars know exactly what they are doing.

Well, *some* might (or at least have a good idea of consequences), but by the time it gets to the poor schmucks in the field (including Generals and Grand High Poobah Priests)? Nah.

The Lunar Empire is a Religious Bureaucracy, and by the time the "Lets Kill Orlanth" Subcommittee of the Barbarian Gods Affairs department is through, the entire plan is a mess. There's probably some kickbacks for prominent members of the Military-Religious Complex, and sweet deals for a senator or three, not to mention the "Let's not annoy the Natives" doowhacky liberal Peacenicks to be appeased (while abnnoying the natives quite a lot). Probably less than 30% of the resources (money, Religious effort and energy, manpower) allocated to "Let's Kill orlanth" is actually used to kill Orlanth, the rest is pocketed by unscrupulous politico-priests and governors. (Who, me? Cynical?)

RR
- Richelieu