Re: Re: Level of Power of Entities

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 17:08:38 +0100 (BST)

> > All rpg rules are 'breakable'. I suggest that
> Heroquest is less breakable than most.
>
> I agree with Rob. HQ models what I need it to
> model.

It always has so far for me - one reason why I object to the concept that NPCs should be allowed to ignore or break the rules. There's no need!

> However, I
> never structure the story around the rules mechanics
> (which is what
> some folk seem to be trying to do on this list).
> IMO, a narrator
> should always fit the rules mechanics around the
> needs of the story.

Oh, yes. Just make sure that what you come up with is consistent according to the rules, somehow. Write it, then justify it. And when you've figured out what skills your NPC had that you didn't previously know about, write them down.