Re: On Dwarves and the North of Sartar

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 11:16:06 +1000

> Also, I know travel times were discussed before. Was any conclusion
> reached on general travel times in Storm Season in the Donalf
> flats/Alda Chur region? Obviously, I can always make it as long as I
> want, but what IS a reasonable travel rate for 4 people on horseback
> travelling at a steady clip? A basic figure I could work off of would
> be helpful in setting the feel.

Here's a cultural perspective, a different tack from how many hoofbeats per day.

A (presumably) armed band travelling in Storm Season around Alda Chur? Now that would attract attention.

If we're talking about the 'campaign present' (1615-1625) then Harvar's Yelmalians and mercenaries would be very watchful of armed bands abroad.

Firstly, though, Alda Chur is a trade city. Its highway is well travelled, both west into Tarsh and south into Sartar: a Royal Road of old. But Storm Season - only bandits and rebels travel in Storm Season! It's the hungry time of year: armies are quartered down, merchant activity is minimal, there's no cattle driving, only early planting. Hungry clans too heavily taxed by Harvar or ill-wyrded in the harvest will be getting hungry and desperate: there'll be outbreaks of raiding and banditry - not cattle raiding, but survival raids of food stores. And remember the Ghost Gors! A lunar army was wiped out by rebels at this time of year not so long ago, and people remember. So does Harvar.

The logistics of travel will be difficult but not impossible if you stick to the major roads and have a legitimate (and well documented) purpose. There will be inns of sorts at regular intervals, though food and especially feed will be scarce and expensive, and largely reserved for troops and diplomatic parties. Off the roads, its flat, but you'll be traversing mainly Yelmalian clan lands, and they'll be very watchful for raiders, and don't like foreign Orlanthi even on their good days.

Heading north into Jaskor's Hold and Ironspike will be ok, but travel there will be carefully monitored by Alda Churi troops: this is the edge of rebel territory. Travelling to Alone at this time will be greeted with hostile suspicion: Alone is still a sun/storm war zone! And the deep gors? No one ever enters the gors. It's madness at this or any other time or year. Travel is very slow, the clans are xenophobic to the extreme, and raiding Uz still venture south across the Cholanti. You'll need a legit purpose and a trusted local guide, and you'd still have to be foolhardy. Guides for hire can be found at Ironspike, where Uz traders occasionally strike north from the market, but there will be few prepared to range the northern gors at this time of year.

The Rain Gors? Don't even think about it. No one ever goes there, and the locals all marry their sisters.

Further south on the Flats, the Dinacoli are less xenophobic and more openly Orlanthi. Most couldn't care less about Harvar, but their leaders have joined his Confederacy and are eager to curry favour. Expect treachery.

And pack a rain cape. :)

Cheers

John

john_at_...                  John Hughes
Mythologic: http://mythologic.info

  May God us keep
  From Single vision and Newton's sleep!