RE: Re: Weapon Advantage

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 23:23:04 +0000 (GMT)

> >From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
> >
> >The problem I've always had with this is the
> classic
> >Humakti sword+gift, where the gift is a +5 augment.
> as
> >an augment, fine: powerful, but fine. Now translate
> >that to an ability, and use it as lead. Eek!
>
> But that's not at all how my method works. I don't
> say, "Hmm, +5 bonus for
> big sword... that must be a 10W2 ability." If the
> player wants a bonus for a
> big sword, he'll have to purchase it like any other
> ability.

Well, the gift/geas bit comes as part of the keyword. And it isn't a "big" sword, it's one that's been blessed by Humakt in exchange for a geas.

> If I were to
> also convert the Humakti geases (and I think I
> would, isn't this a HW thing),

"Convert" from HW to HQ? We've got the details on how to do that, and it didn't include altering these numbers. You takes your geas, you gets your +5. AFAIR the power level translates quite well from the RQ bonuses.

> I'd make it just another ability as well,
> probably one that starts at keyword level.

There's a difference between a +2 and a +5, you know....

> I wouldn't convert things like essence bonuses, or
> fetish releases... those
> are just bonuses, and not abilities

And the same can be said of +5 swords, and of all the other things you're suggesting changing to abilities. The concept's fine, but there are times when it seems to clash with Gloranthan reality.

> (and if you did convert them, the
> abilities implied would be ridiculous,

Exactly. That's the problem.

> If I really wanted to bring these
> things in line with the rest
> of the system, again, I'd make them just another
> ability (which would really
> lower the power of practitioners and wizards).

Thus altering Gloranthan reality, instead of the system used to represent it. No, there's got to be a better tweak to the idea than that.

In the case of Humakti (and other cults) gift/geas pairs, maybe the ability level isn't so OTT, when you consider that it comes with a geas at the same level.

Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" � The Wall Street Journal http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html