Re: The Moon Bear

From: Mark Galeotti <markgaleotti_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 17:10:58 -0000

> It is interesting. The write up certainly seems to imply that the
Star Bear
> cult is still alive and well (perhaps not WELL) in Sylila, even if
Orlanth is
> suppressed. Am I wrong in interpreting things that way?

Not at all. The Lunars don't try to suppress the entire Storm Pantheon; Orlanth is the Rebel, but most of the other, distinct deities are to be won over or Lunarised, not killed off. Odayla is the primary hunting god in Tarsh and has an even more substantive role in Sylila.

> Odalya is not just
> the hunting god here, but takes on some of the social roles of
Orlanth. I
> suspect there are some cults that overlap Moon Bear subcults
heavily, but
> others that don't.

Absolutely. I have some notes somewhere but not easily to hand, yet there are chieftain, wildman/hunter, fierce father, warrior, etc subcults. It's not so ridiculously multiple as Orlanth in Sartar (I do feel that there are just too many subcults in TR considering the size of the population, but that's just a personal opinion), but certainly it occupies a much more central social role.

As you might gather, I find Sylila rather interesting!

All the best

Mark