Re: Re: Enchanting?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:44:50 +0000 (GMT)

> A quick scan through ST and TR gives the following
> list of Enchanting rituals
>
> Orlanth Adventurous: Enchant Silver Ritual
> Daylanus the Conquering Wind: Enchant Tin Ritual
> Hedkoranth the Thunder Slinger: Enchant Thunderstone
> Ritual
> Vingkot Champion: Enchant Iron Ritual
> Babeester Gor: Enchant Copper ritual & Enchant Iron
> Ritual
> Inginew Redson: Enchant Bronze, Enchant Iron,
> Enchant Silver, Imbue Sword With Magic

Thanks: nice list! Looks like if you're in Orlanthi society, finding someone who can enchant your rune metal isn't impossible, but won't be all that easy, either. Which is as it should be.

> The Imbue Sword With Magic feat suggests that there
> is a whole different mechanism for making magic
> swords.

Well, that is from a Humakt sub-cult. And Humakti magical swords have a tendency to be quite special. All those Gifts that give them +5s.

> Are the Enchant [Metal] feats just used to
> make sure that the rune metals are "tuned" to the
> user like in the old RQ days (as Jane has noted
> above)?

I think I'd suggest that that's *one* use of them - no point in limiting things unnecessarily.

> Though the inclusion of Enchant Thunderstone may
> suggest otherwise.

What are Thunderstones made of, do we know? This sounds to me more like the equivalent of the "Imbue Sword With Magic" feat - it makes Thunderstones out of whatever materials may be available. The function of the object is the limit, not the material from which it's made. (Though if you try to imbue a paper sword with magic, I might impose some rather high resistances on both enchantment and subsequent use!)

> Perhaps these feats are required
> to actually create items from the metal etc. So to
> make a copper axe for a Babs G warrior the redsmith
> needs both his own ability plus the Enchant Copper
> Ritual.

No, I think requiring the magic for "normal" use is overdoing it. If you want a copper pot, you heat metal and bash it. Adding the feat would produce a better pot, but you can't limit normal bronze-smithing to Inginew, for instance. You'd just go to him if you wanted a cooking pot that was going to house the new protective Guardian for your household.

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk