Re: Beast Valley Tradition

From: sarahnewton111 <sarah.newton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:03:25 -0000

Hi all,

> --- donald_at_... wrote:
> > About the only thing I can remember is that there is
> > some link to
> > the Hideous Zoo. Probably some of the beastmen are
> > descendants
> > of the experiments who escaped from there.
>
> That's a thought - Sarah, have you read what KoS has
> to say about how the place was founded? IIRC, it's got
> several versions that contradict each other to some
> extent - sorry, I don't have time to go and check the
> details ATM, and I'm pretty sure there's too much
> there to just quote the raw text at you.

That's right - KoS has a fair bit of background; also there's some stuff by Trotsky in MOLAD and Peter in Tradetalk #7, plus Sandy's description of an Arachne Solara rite at the Wild Temple and a couple of brief references in Anaxial's Roster - beyond that there actually seems to be very little Beast Valley source material out there, which surprised me a bit. I've rifled through what existing material on the Grazers there is, reasoning that there are pretty close ties between the centaurs and the Grazers and that they seem to share certain spirits, and possibly also magic, at least, but at that point I seem to emerge into pretty uncharted territory!

I'm glad Mike liked the contradictory virtues for the Tradition - I followed Peter's view In TT7 that the Wild Temple was, well, pretty "wild". I don't think I've reflected that in the rather neat way their Practises are structured yet, however - it all feels a bit too neat.

This all started when I tried to create a party of beastmen for an encounter on the way to the Building Wall Battle in 1605, and I realised I didn't know actually what magic those guys used!

Sarah