Re: Re: status of hq publications

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:02:20 +0000 (GMT)

> Jane Williams wrote:
> > It all depends on whether you want a thorough
> > read-through of one book, or reference material to
> > consult, doesn't it? "Both" is nice.

> Exactly. "Both" is lovely - especially since the
> official bound
> presentation is likely to be nicer than something
> I've printed myself.

I can't say that worries me in the slightest: readability is what I'm after. Printing a few pages and then scribbling on them happens quite often. If I want something pretty to put on a shelf, I'll get a bunch of flowers. Durability, though, can come in handy, and self-binding can be... well, as bad as my original copy of KoS (now totally disintegrated).

> I'm frankly amazed that print books don't as
> standard come with the
> ability to register online and get the e-book
> version as a complimentary
> extra by now. This would seem to be a no-brainer to
> me, given the low
> cost of e-book distribution, even with the rampant
> piracy that exists.

Yes, good point. Or a CD of the e-version in the back of the book. One of David Weber's books went even further: buy the hard-copy, and you got a CD in the back that contained e-copy of all the previous books in the series (ten or so).