Re: Re: status of hq publications

From: Raymond Turney <raymond_turney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:02:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

This may sound strange, but why do sales matter to gamers?

I see why Greg cares. I see why Rick and Moon Design care. But most of us have our own {in my case very variant with its own rules} version of Glorantha, and have to adapt published material to it. If we're adapting material, how much does it matter that Greg has approved it and Moon Design published it?

One of the designed in advantages of HeroQuest is that the time overhead of generating opposition is lower than RQ {either form} or for that matter my game, Fire and Sword. So it should be easier to run a scenario designed for another system in HQ than in RQ.

If you do care whether or not you are running in Greg's version of Glorantha, the maximum output possible is the number of works he can and will review. This is probably not that much higher than the ability of Moon Design to publish material.

                                                        Ray,

Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:                               Jane Williams wrote:

> --- Greg Stafford <Greg_at_... <mailto:Greg%40glorantha.com>>
 wrote:
> > There's no doubt that HQ
> > publications have diminished.
> > but heck, ORQ have too, and gosh, WB&RM doesn't sell
> > a bit anymore!
>
> Ah, so the original concept was correct, even if it
> used the wrong vocabulary.

 "The difference between the right word and almost the right word is like  the difference between lightening and lightening bug."  --Mark Twain

> HQ sales, down.

 But not down as much as the pessimists seem to think. Again, I can't  disclose exact numbers but the sales trend is pretty much normal.

> So, how come the Mongoose stuff is selling well, and
> the stuff those of us on this list actually want,
> isn't?

 The entire line got off to a start during the general RPG crash and  sales were never as good as RQ in its heyday. But in those days sales of  CoC and RQ were declining too. Go back and check to see how many of the  new games that were released at about the same time have ANY material  being published for them now.

 The perceived downturn in sales is more in the minds of disappointed  fans than in the market.

> I just have a horrible
> feeling that having some full-time employees on the
> job may have something to do with it :(

 Of course that's it. And advertising, trade show attendance,  professional publishing budget.

 But Moon Design, like Issaries before it, is a small publisher and if  someone expects big publisher numbers, this is a delusion.

 --

     Greg Stafford
     President, Issaries. Inc.

 Love without reserve,