Re: Re: status of hq publications

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:32:36 +0000 (GMT)

> Hi,
>
> This may sound strange, but why do sales matter to
> gamers?
>
> I see why Greg cares. I see why Rick and Moon
> Design care. But most of us have our own {in my
> case very variant with its own rules} version of
> Glorantha, and have to adapt published material to
> it. If we're adapting material, how much does it
> matter that Greg has approved it and Moon Design
> published it?

Not in the slightest, whether we're adapting or not. Tradetalk frex do just as good a job of publishing, when they produce things at all.
It would be nice not to have to adapt, and the material coming from many authors is consistent with past material anyway, so no problems there: just carry on ignoring those where it isn't, especially if they want money for it. But unless you want hard-copy, having it available on those authors' web-sites would actually be better.

However, as we were saying, people do like hard-copy. Producing hard-copy isn't free. So they need to charge, and that means sales. To break even without prices going through the roof, you need a minimum number of sales. All very hand-wavy and lacking in numbers, I know, but I believe that covers the basic economics. Drop the hard-copy, and most of the problem vanishes.

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/