Re: OFFLIST: Re: Re: The Purpose of this List

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 05:50:37 +0000 (GMT)

> Perhaps it isn't if you speak American? They may have their own
> line of ethnic slurs that people in the UK and the former colonies don't
> know about?

And a few seconds of asking would have told them that that was offensive. Were they talking to any Brits at the time? Oh, yes, the guy whose existing and perfectly adequate list they were hijacking.... plus, potentially, anyone on that or any other list. How long does it take to say "hey, what do people think of this name"? 30 sec? A few minutes to read the answers?

> I expect it was an attempt to be more poetical, rather than to be
> deliberately upsetting.

If so, it was an incredibly stupid one. But since so much else about setting that list up was apparently intended to offend, with no other reason for it happening at all, why would the name be any different?

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.