Re: Re: Public relations

From: Lawrence Whitaker <lawrence.whitaker_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:27:31 +0100

> It's not anything particularly new though. Con Books have been a part

of Gloranthan fandom for a long time (probably as long as there have

been Gloranthan Conventions) and members of the GTA had early access

to the rules for both Hero Wars and Hero Quest 1.

This is quite true. Also, Robin Laws attended Convulsion 2000, ran special GM briefings for the new Hero Wars game, and distributed advanced copies of the rule set so demo games could be played. Sure, they weren't sold, but a select few did have access.

In the case of HQ2, sales helped raise funds for the Continuum convention (not the primary purpose, but I'm grateful to Rick for his help) and helped to promote the game. In this raw stage its good to have such a presence, but clearly there has to be a limit on the numbers made available and the format of availability. Similar things have been done before - Middle Sea Empire, History of the Heortling Peoples, Durengard Scroll, SOLAR and so forth.

--
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next its rolling over me...

Rush - 'Far Cry'