Re: Re: HQ 2

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:41:01 -0400

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Adam Mertes<adammertes_at_...> wrote:

> That's a great point about the challenge level. So they're will be ways to
> increase skills( or whatever they are called in Heroquest)? Will there be a
> cap on skills?

No cap on abilities as far as I am aware. One thing to consider, though, is that the value of an ability rating is *entirely* determined by the narrator (and players through group consensus) at the start of the game. For example, one game may follow a band of street thugs as they claw their way up the rungs in a gang while another game might follow a pantheon of gods as they contest with each other for dominion. Both groups can start with ability ratings at 13/17. Or anything else, for that matter. Given the way the game works, there just isn't any mechanical advantage to starting powerful characters with high ability ratings.

That said, IMHO ratings track abilities relative to *the other player characters* as much (or more) than anything else. Nothing stops the narrator from describing a characters increase in power along with the increase in ability scores but that is just a matter of taste.

-Kevin McD