Re: Re: HQ 2

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 20:46:58 -0400

Kevin McDonald wrote:

>No cap on abilities as far as I am aware. One thing to consider,
>though, is that the value of an ability rating is *entirely*
>determined by the narrator (and players through group consensus) at
>the start of the game.

Which is one thing I am glad has been made clearer.

>Both groups can start with ability ratings at
>13/17. Or anything else, for that matter. Given the way the game
>works, there just isn't any mechanical advantage to starting powerful
>characters with high ability ratings.

The thing about this, of course, is that one of the selling points of the system was that it scaled the way it did. So presumably wildly different ranges of stats haven't been removed from the system, even with this "base power level" shift.

>That said, IMHO ratings track abilities relative to *the other player
>characters* as much (or more) than anything else. Nothing stops the
>narrator from describing a characters increase in power along with the
>increase in ability scores but that is just a matter of taste.

And again, hopefully all this (which is very different for most people, IMHO) is discussed clearly and how to adjudicate what it means for your games is handled well.

LC