Re: Re: Using HQ2 for Exalted?

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 19:19:12 -0500

David Scott wrote:

> > Any ideas about the great curse. This is fundamental to the
> setting. I've thought about having it as a starting flaw at the
> characters highest skill (as usual). It can't be bought off and
> triggers when the character fails in something eg Total defeat.
> >>
> > OK, I get that the Great Curse has to do with the Solars going all
> > psycho and totalitarian... How is this invoked in the game world as it
> > stands now?
>
> It's covered on the wiki
> http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Limit_Break
> <http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Limit_Break> and
> in the main rules p103-5.

Useful, that wiki is.
I wouldn't make it trigger in Total defeat, I'd still try to tailor the triggers to the Virtue itself. But yes, this seems like it ABSOLUTELY has to be part of the game and front and center.

> In my game the default is not Solar, but Dragon Blooded and a
> smattering of Sidereal.

Well that explains that, then. :-)

> There will be Solars later. My game is multi-generational - a bit like
> pendragon. So in one game you might play your great great great
> grandfather, the next your mother and as they all vary in power with
> age, the masteries are going to be needed.

Yup. It seems they will. :)

> >> What about making them buy the keyword first? Thus getting rid of
> any complications of rules. I'm keeping the different xp costs for
> caste and non-caste abilities.
> >>
> > Could you explain yourself further there?
>
> You need to look at the rules. Exalted is not a straight forward
> system. The main book is 400 pages with a quarter of that rules.

And by turning it to HQ2, you are going to have to strip out about 350 pages worth of those. So you want certain powers outside of the accepted baliwicks to cost twice as much. Given that HQ is... shall we say loose?... on advancement, marrying things directly to hp costs is tricky. (Not that it isn't done, of course.)

> yes. But it's very cut down.

*nod*
LC