Re: Re: heroquest with lunar gods

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 08:14:08 -0700

YGWV Trezaae wrote:

> What Santo described is exactly what my player wants to do, thanks you
> to explain it in a better english :)

Teamwork always wins.

> > *Interesting*. So by altering a Lunar HeroQuest, the benefits
> accrued would
> > be Lunar?

If the Humakti attempted to steal a power, then it would only be a Lunar power that was new.

> > Wouldn't the Humakti's connections to the Sword God benefit from
> > reasserting the position of the Old Gods versus the New Immortals?

No, because he isn't changing. There is nothing to reassert--Humakt is Death.
If he chooses to become something else, that is his choice--the gm can work out exactly what.
Here are some ideas:
HE becomes the God of Death for the Empire, and changes mythology. This would cause a frightful stress on the Lunar powers, which are at their core cyclical, and so this would be a dead cog in their machine, a redundant and harmful organ in the body spiritual, a failed mutation in the cosmic unfolding that would make the flower like a rose bush with wasps instead of flowers. [Mind you, this is huge, and really unlikely--in my Glorantha it would require more than killing the proxy in a HeroQuest, but going to the real even and facing the real YT, a task far, far more complex and dangerous than the normal (proxy) HQ.] more likely, I realize:
He becomes a potential Hero, potentially immortal. All he has to do TO BECOME IMMORTAL is to do is: . set up a hero band of people who are HIS devotees and disciples, directing their worship and energy to him--or actually, to the "new part" of him, the magic that he has discovered/made which is like a nucleus, like the core of an egg that is yet to be formed. He begins teaching them his magic (Feat, spell, brotherly spirit, whatever...) while they sacrifice their power to him and through him to the Source of that magic (him physically; his divine self; some mysterious source, it doesn't matter). This is not easy--each individual has to learn what to do, integrate the event through his worship and sacrifice, and then maintain it.

. He will either die, or more hopefully apotheosize (likely if he has 1000 such devotees and disciples before he dies). If he dies, then his Hero Band must go to the land of the dead and find him, and bring a part of him back. It has to be the right part--the linking part to his special magic.

. Once that is established, then he has a temple where worshipers can come to learn that magic. It is the only place, for now. There are ways to "reproduce" the link and expand the cult, but this also requires more people.

. The hero continues his existence in the Hero Plane as a demigod as long as his worship continues.

> It is very interesting indeed ! But why this is not in he rules ? I
> don't have your knowledge of glorantha and I simply apply the rules for HQ

You will have to expect a reply from Jeff R on this. I tried to get it into print long ago, when still under the corrosive influence of /el pendejo/, but it was bumped a couple of times. I sort of forgot about it and am not even sure if Jeff got the memo. :-)

-g