Re: What are you doing with HeroQuest?

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 18:02:10 +0100

In message
<AANLkTikpn_Ls2Naw_nS3a0ZAirAG49bpq61O=B_A40TJ_at_...>, Newt Newport <mrnewt_at_...> writes
>Hi all
>
>Just curious to know what people are doing with HeroQuest these days,
>especially now we've gone all generic with HQ2?
>
>In fact have people made the switch over to HQ2?
>
>For myself, we finished a short campaign back in July, set in the
>Kingdom of Loskalm - very much the early low level days of the Heroes
>as they embark on a career towards ultimate glory!
>
>After this amidst a rather fractured summer of one shot games, we
>played an old skool dungeon bash using HQ2, which despite being a very
>different flavour of fantasy compared with Glorantha worked very well.
>
>Future plans see a return to Loskalm and trying out HQ in more
>contemporary settings.
>
>So what about you lot?

Errr ... still on Hero Wars here, give or take. Running a campaign that just celebrated 10 years of running and 294 sessions.

Hero Quest 1 looked OK to me, but had mechanisms and ideas in that broke established character mechanisms so put it to one side.

Hero Quest 2 had the (to me and my players) loathsome idea of the pass-fail cycle, and badly tainted my opinion of the rest of it. I see the world I game master as a clock work toy that I set running and the players actions in the world are theirs to set, and the world will react as it should. It's not providing a story as such, though there's a story to be had if the player want it.

Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes - hated the reworking to focus on runes and forget the deities as individuals (so it seemed to me)., and failed to even finish reading it. I think the criticisms of Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe as too hard to use and having too many unplayable cults as missing their true glory and value.

Umm, probably not quite what you wanted to hear.

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_...