Re: Heroes

From: melstra_at_...
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:14:39 -0000

The way I see it the "But God, why do you want me, lowly Moses, to lead the Jews out of Egypt???" question is the key to good narrating. Every character should ideally feel or be made to feel that he or she *is* the best person for the job. (Or, failing that, at least the best person available at the time!) This is partly the job of the narrator, who should set up an adventure so that each character has motivation to do the task or feels uniquely qualified in some way. It's also the job of a good role-player to run off and do things he/she is not qualified to do, just because someone who *would* be more qualified is probably wise enough not to want to touch the hare-brained scheme with a ten foot staff.

Having narrated in other systems, I think HW would make character motivation even easier to accomplish-- the low-level Lhankor Mhy initiate might be _just the thing_ for this situation if the higher-level character has enemies or vested interests in the case at hand. Since HW puts a focus on backstory, intricate enigmatic interference from the Gods and clan ties, building a world where _everyone_ is necssary seems self-evident. Or am I all wet?

Babbles off. I'll go back to work now.

-Melanie, who does, indeed suffer from a "Why me" complex on occasion, but tries not to let it get the best of her inherent niftiness.