RE: Re: Conversion

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:42:30 +0100

> And if your god is defeated and can't mainifest, what then? If you

That would make a lot more sense. But the defeat of Tarsh/Orlanth has not had any effect on the DragonPass/Orlanth or the Heortland/Orlanth, right? Otherwise one would expect ALL Orlanth-based magic to suddenly stop. If the conversion process were, say, primarily one which occurred on the magical planes through heroquesting, that would make sense to me.

> god-talkers are crucified and dead, who teaches the children? And if

Right, but I understood that the Lunars were NOT carrying out this sort of campaign in Sartar. I mean, I though it was only specific cults that were being so persecuted - this will still leave a lot of godi with memories of the mythology as a whole, surely? And then reconstructing the rest would be a process of heroquesting.

> Maybe. If they have priests and goddi to do it.

Sure, but I was not aware that the Lunars were being this actively repressive. Does this mean that players should not take godi-PC's from certain cults?

> I don't think you're thinking in the right time-frame. Tash has been
> under the thumb of the empire for well over a century. That's five
> generations or more. Sartar's only been subject to the
> Lunars for one
> and already they are starting to feel the bite.

Well yeah, that seems pretty short. It may be five nominal generations, but 3 or 4 generations would still be alive simultaneously at the end of that century. They should be able to access memories only once or twice removed, and that assumes that no efforts were made to communicate the cult secrets covertly - after all this is an oral tradition, the Lunars surely cannot execute everyone singing in the words. Well they could, but then it becomes a far heavier level of repression than I have understood to be the case. Also, it assumes the absence of cross-border traffic - surely the heortlings in Tarsh could cite cult bonds to communicate with other groups in DP proper if they needed to recover their library of secrets and feats?

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/