Writing Hero Narratives

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:56:39 -0400

This is something which I sent out to my players which I though might be useful to Narrators whose players were having trouble sorting through all the options provided by both HERO WARS and Glorantha.

By all means do *not* get stressed out if you do not have a final hero narrative, or even a first draft, by Friday. Even if you have just a vague concept like "I want a warrior who is initiated to Beren the Rider and has a magical horse Ally", that is sufficient for the time being. Not everyone has Glenn's reading speed, writing skill or familiarity with Glorantha, and I do not expect that you *would*. I admit that HERO WARS is *not* an easy game in which to create characters, but the results are worth the effort. The narrative method gives each player a very unique and memorable character to portray. Just look at Heordan and Kelulf in the sample heroes I sent everyone: both are Humakt devotees, both are strong, both can lead troops in battle, but they are *very* different in personality and their relationships with their community.

Take your time, and consider which concept best makes for a hero you would enjoy portraying. At the same time, consider whether the concept you chose makes for a storyline in which you would enjoy participating. Now write a first draft of your hero's narrative. When done with that first draft, consider whether the draft contains enough interesting elements which may increase your fellow players' enjoyment of and involvement with your hero, your hero's tale and the campaign. Now write a second draft, adding or changing elements taking advantage of the fresh insights which you hopefully have gained. If you seek "Glorantha authenticity" or have questions about how something might fit into the campaign, contact me. That is my job, as Narrator, and I take it seriously. A *great* campaign arises through cooperation between all involved.

I will suggest revisions or neat ideas when you send me your drafts, as I did with Glenn and Erik. If your draft is really unfocussed or needs lots of work, we can arrange a time to get together, either in person or over the phone, and talk things through. Persevere, and I know you will all be impressed with the end product.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and