Re: Great Lovers

From: Roland <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 02:35:03 -0000

John Hughes wrote:
> the *ahem* archetypal lovers are of course brash young Orlanth and
> world-wise Ernalda. [SNIP]
> I take the point though. Is there something in the Heortling mind
> that only accepts stories connected to the godplane in some way,
> or do they have their own classes of folk tales and 'folk heros'
> who aren't literal plane-bending heroes? (We're discussing this at
> the moment on the Digest). I certainly tend toward the latter,
> and, Bad King Ingrain aside, wish we had a few more folk heroes
> celebrated in story and song but not directly connected with
> cults and heroquests.

"Bad King Urgrain tried to encourage the skalds to tell less tales of the gods and more tales of ordinary folk. This made the people more and more ordinary too, until, when the Snipes came and stole his shoes, there were no men in the tribe heroic enough to stop them. That's why he was shoeless at the Battle of Hot Coals, and we all know what happened there..."
- Low-Key the Trickster